Monday, October 27, 2008

GetReady for the Day of the Dead!

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but Raleigh doesn't do it up. I've got the usual for this area: lights, fake spider webbing on the boxwoods, and we've got rubber rats around the front porch. But I miss the sugar skulls, marigolds, lots of paper mache skeletons. So I dug around and gathered as much as I dared (some is too precious, like the skeleton cyclist). I found some tin skeletons that I taped to the small window above the front door. We bought a tacky purple skull that lights up, and I'll do my usual little altar with favorite beverages and snacks for my ancestors. Yes, I put up a gin and tonic for my Buddist/Episcopalian Gramma. I also put an African Violet on the altar, to help her find her way here.

It may sound strange, but el Dia de los Muertos is a very special time!

No comments: